Patient information

Who to contact

If your symptoms are so severe that they require immediate assistance please call 112. For all other concerns please contact your Primary Care Physician. They will assess your condition and refer you to MMC.

If you need assistance outside of business hours contact the ‘Huisartsenpost’. If you live in the Kempen region contact SHOKO and if you live in the region of Eindhoven, Geldrop or Helmond please contact the Central Huisartsenpost.

Brochure: Healthcare in The Netherlands

Our departments

Máxima MC offers a broad range of specialties to meet your needs. Here you can find information on a select number of our departments in English:

Preparing for your visit

More information about preparing for your visit.


Read more about the type of anaesthesia for your surgery.

What to expect during your stay

During your stay at MMC you will be looked after by an extensive support team. Read more about what to expect.

Outpatient procedures and treatments

More informatie about outpatient procedures and treatments.

A transcript from your file

If you want a request of a transcript from your file you can fill in this form: Request for a transcript from your file.
Máxima MC strives to have the copy/copies available to you within 10 working days after the request.

Destruction, removal from and/or correction of your file

If you want to request a destruction, removal and/or correction from your file you can fill in this form: Request for destruction, removal or correction of  your file

Spirital services and support

Here at MMC we understand that your treatment or condition may raise many questions and emotions. We have chaplains in place who can offer support and guidance to you and your family regardless of your faith or belief systems. Read more about spirital services and support.

Your rights and obligations

Between you and your clinician there are certain rights and responsibilities. Find more information about your rights and obligations.